I am sharing my recipe for one of my favourite ferments, beetroot kvass. I start my day with a shot of this and also find it also great to take just before exercise. Beetroot is great for circulation and supporting the flow of oxygen around your body and also a great source of iron and potassium (great for lowering blood pressure).
Beetroot, Apple & Ginger Kvass
Kvass is traditionally a Russian fermented beverage often made from beetroot and is touted as a general health tonic. This recipe is inspired by the Russian version, but this recipe adds additional spices and sweetness that comes with the added apple, a great source of gut-loving fibre, dates and spices. There’s no need for grains with a kvass, as the skins of the beetroot are a plentiful source of lactobacillus, so simply wash your beetroot and keep those skins on!
To make this you will need a 1.5L airtight jar. Once fermented you can drink the brine as well as eat the fruit and veg.
Yields approx 1.25L
1-1.25L mineral water
350 g beetroot, chopped (washed and skin on)
200g apple, sliced in wedges (washed and skin on)
50 g ginger, sliced (skin on)
40 g dried figs or dates, chopped
½ tsp Himalayan pink salt
6 cardamom pods
2 star anise
- Add the beetroot, apples, ginger and dates to the fermenting jar. Next, add the spice.
- Fill the jar with the remaining water, leaving a 3cm gap at the top.
- Ferment at room temperature for one week, giving it a gentle shake every day. Taste and check the flavour, it should be slightly fizzy. You may want and I would recommend to ferment it for an additional 24-36 hours for the flavours to further develop.
- Strain the liquid using a plastic sieve into a jug. Using a funnel, pour the liquid into a swing top drinks bottle. You can enjoy straight away or store at room temperature for another day or two three days to created additionally fizz.
- If storing at room temp, make sure that you let the gases escape from the drink daily, by releasing the lid on the bottle for a few seconds. Once you are happy with the flavour and fizziness, store in the refrigerator.
Notes: Vary the spices according to your preference. Feel free to add more spices to taste. You can sub apples for pear or use only beetroot (550g).
Source: Nena Foster (www.nenafosterfood.com )
Allergy advice: none